In The News
Today’s top story can be found in the Extra Esports News section.
Capcom saw its profits go up last quarter thanks in part to “‘highly profitable’ digital downloads of catalogue titles,” GI.biz’s Haydn Taylor reports. There was a “year-on-year sales increase of 4.3% … operating income however saw the biggest spike, rising 50.8% year-on-year.”
Zynga had a good second quarter. “The company reports revenue of $306 million (up 41% year-over-year), and total bookings of $376 million (up 61% year-over-year) … Zynga still posted a net loss of $56 million” due to recent studio acquisitions, GI.biz’s Rebekah Valentine reports.
Ubisoft acquired a 70% stake in Green Panda Games, VentureBeat’s Jason Wilson writes. “This is Ubisoft’s second deal with a hyper-casual studio. The only terms that Ubisoft released is that it has the option to acquire the other 30% of the studio.”
Modern Pick Entertainment intends to acquire a “substational” portion of Slightly Mad Studios, Taylor reports.
Pokémon Go has been downloaded 1 billion times.
UK’s Defence Science and Technology Laboratory is partnering with “wargame developer Slitherine to use its strategy games to improve its analytical tools for real-life combat and strategy,” Valentine writes.
Playdigious is moving beyond mobile games and trying its hand at “the PC and console game markets, starting with the publication of new titles in August,” VentureBeat’s Dean Takahashi reports.
Extra Esports News:
RFRSH Entertainment will sell both Astralis and Origen, HLTV’s MIRAA reports. “The deal will be completed next week and will see both Astralis and Origen, RFRSH’s League of Legends squad, move over to ‘Astralis Group ApS’, a newly-formed company that includes Danish sports and business people among its owners.”
Partnerships & Sponsorships:
N3rd Street Gamers and Kellogg’s are partnering, ESI’s David Hollingsworth writes. “The series will stop at Walmart stores in Dallas, Spokane, Colorado Springs, Kansas City, and Nashville as part of the Cheez-It Grooves tour.”
SteelSeries is sponsoring OG Esports, according to a tweet.
IN: Samir Ahmed joined Super League Gaming as CTO.
Jesal Parekh joined Team Flash as COO.
OUT: Triple Trouble forfeited their Season 8 RLCS slot due.